5 Tips to Make Your Home Energy Efficient and Save Money – Green Home Renovation
Everyone loves to save money, no matter if they are a millionaire or someone on a basic wage, and with your home it is easy to do. If you can save money in the operating costs of your home and help the planet as well, then why not give it a go. Whether you are going to renovate your house or just want to do a small remodeling project to save money it will be worth the effort. Join the revolution of people doing green home renovation projects.
The main areas where you can make a difference to your energy bill are:
1. Insulation – it is relatively easy to install insulation in the roof of most homes and if you are doing a new home building project then you have the opportunity to insulate the walls and under the floor whether it is timber or concrete. The loss of heat from your home during winter or the allowance of heat into your home during summer can easily add 25 % to your energy bill. This will certainly mean you are carrying out a green renovation project.
One small thing which can make a difference to your energy and cost savings is to ensure that all those small air gaps around doors and windows are closed with draft excluders wherever possible. They act like a tap dripping and over time can cost you big money.
Another way to insulate your home is to install insulated curtains to as many windows as possible. They should wrap around and touch the walls on the side, the floor on the bottom and have sealed pelmets at the top. After the roof insulation window insulation has the biggest impact on saving energy and money.
2. Light Fixtures and Fittings – It is becoming mandatory in most countries when you renovate your house or replace light fittings to get energy efficient light fittings. In Australia the government has been giving away energy efficient light globes to encourage this change.
Replacing lights to an energy efficient model will help your home become energy efficient. Adding dimmer switches will also because this saves energy and money. Another great way to save on your power bill and make you home energy efficient is to open up your curtains and blinds and let some natural light pour in during the day and close them at night to help insulate your home.
3. Appliances – There is a large amount of energy cost that goes towards using your home appliances. You could repair with parts but the best way to save energy here is to shop for new appliances that have the energy star. Sometimes the cost of these products may be higher then normal but they are worth the extra money in the long run.
4. Solar Panels – Although one of the more expensive options, adding solar panels to the roof of your home can save money and energy. It is still one of the best ways to make your home energy efficient. They use natural resources of the sun to create energy. Solar panels can come in the form of a solar thermal collectors that help the suns energy heat water and then either generate your hot water or even your own electricity. It is a great way to use the suns natural energy and to make your home energy efficient and join the green home renovation revolution.
5. Bathroom Fixtures – as one of my previous blogs outlined the bathroom can be a designed to significantly reduce your water consumption. The use of dual flush toilets and water restricting shower heads can make a significant difference to your overall energy and home operating costs
These are just 5 ways which you can save money on your energy bill when you are going to renovate your house or just as a way to help the planet and your budget even when you nor carrying out a home building or remodeling project. For home renovators who follow these principles they can claim they are doing a “green home renovation”
George Birdsall writes regularly about ways to reduce your home remodelling cost at his blog www.therenovationplan.com. He also offers a free eBook “Renovation Made Easy” which is full of many home remodelling ideas, ways to save building costs and create the home addition plans to satisfy your home renovation dreams. He has also recently released a new eBook “Feng Shui Symbols – Ancient Secrets to finding Love and Wealth”
You may like to read
Tags: appliances, bathroom design, bathroom designs, Bathroom Fixtures, cost saving, energy heat water, energy saving, george birdsall, green energy, green home, green home renovation, green home renovation project, green home renovation projects, home appliances, home remodeling ideas, home renovation, home renovation project, home renovation projects, millionaire, natural resources, reduce water consumption, remodeling projects, remodelling cost, save money, small remodeling project, Solar Panels, solar thermal collectors, to save money